From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:14:58
1 080907 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > The slotting of KDE 3.* and KDE 4.* was never a question
3 > but whether we really need to keep slotting of minor KDE versions
4 > in the new 4.* line, i.e. KDE 4.1 and 4.2 slotted on the same system.
5
6 Yes, I understood that (smile).
7
8 > It is no real issue to be able to run a slotted KDE 4.2 install
9 > alongside an FHS install of KDE 4.* <via an overlay>.
10
11 In that case, much of my unease disappears:
12 users should be willing to learn how to use overlays.
13
14 > This helps to make the normal KDE install much simpler to maintain
15 > with less gradual build up of cruft over the years,
16 > ie multiple older slots the user is no longer using.
17 > It also brings us into line with the FHS compliant Qt 4 ebuilds
18
19 Yes, if there is a genuine improvement in maintainability for the devs,
20 that's a real reason for making the change.
21
22 In another msg, you said nothing will change till 4.2 ( 0901xx )
23 & by then hopefully KDE 4 will have settled down to normal usability.
24
25 > The purpose of these posts was to solicit further feedback
26 > before things are pushed to the main tree.
27
28 Well, you have mine (grin).
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca