From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Policy on RESTRICT=[no]mirror and use of mirror://foo/
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 21:04:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I've tried to dig through our policy documents, to find the policy
4 regarding RESTRICT=mirror/fetch. I don't find anything in the htdocs
5 tree from CVS, beyond a few brief mentions in the handbook.
6
7 RESTRICT=[no]fetch
8 ------------------
9 Should be used if the license prohibits unattended/automated download
10 (eg click-through licenses), or the upstream author wants all downloads
11 to be manually done from their site (I know of at least one package
12 where this is true).
13
14 RESTRICT=[no]mirror
15 -------------------
16 - Files too large for the mirrors? (What is the size limit?)
17 - License issues?
18 - anything else?
19
20 Unless there is something I've missed, why do we have ebuilds with
21 RESTRICT=nomirror, having a GPL-2 license, and distributed via
22 sourceforge? Wouldn't RESTRICT=primaryuri be much better? Most fetches
23 would go to SF first, and we'd still have a copy available on our
24 mirrors.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
29 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
30 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
31 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85