From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:54:39
1 On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:43:41 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:41:24 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > A 'type' field would be useful as well, to support various kinds of
7 > > package sets (much like portage handles currently).
8 >
9 > I'm highly doubtful that there's any real need for different kinds of
10 > repository-provided sets. We especially don't want sets to be code...
11
12 Simple things like getting a list of packages which own a particular
13 file (for rebuilds) or grepping a variable are useful to users.
14 For example, the x11 overlay provides a set to rebuild the xorg server
15 modules after an update.
16
17 > > We'd either want to add || ( ) here, or somehow explicitly specify
18 > > that this is a one-of set.
19 >
20 > No, that's something that's determined by how the set's used, not by
21 > what's in the set. There's no such thing as a "one-of" set; a set is
22 > just a list of package dep specs.
23
24 Hm, true. I guess noone will want to merge 'a random package matching
25 a tag' :P.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny