From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:38:42
1 On 29 September 2013 09:14, Martin Vaeth
2 <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>wrote:
3
4 > this dependency will install for a user with
5 > unstable keywords
8 That, in itself, indicates the user is usually OK with "new versions of
9 things" ;)
10
11 corelist -a says virtual/perl-Digest-MD5-2.520.0 should || ( perl v5.18 )
12
13 Though that virtual is already stable, and as a result, will result in the
14 installation of that version of Digest::MD5 on perl versions <5.17
15
16 2.530.0 won't be in perl till 5.19+
17
18 One other reason you might want to consider that its *good* that we upgrade
19 things from perl to versions in perl-core/*.
20
21 CVEs. If a security hole is exposed in a version of something that is
22 shipped with perl, we can simply adjust the virtual and get it to pull in a
23 newer version via perl-core/*
24
25 Here, the "unnecessary" dependency could in fact be nessecary to avoid a
26 security hole in an older version that may be shipped with perl.
27
28 And in such a case, its "good" that installing foo, that depends on
29 "virtual/perl-SOMETHINGBROKEN" gets you a version more recent than in perl
30 itself.
34 Kent