From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:43:14
On 27 June 2011 03:12, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
> > I see major disadvantage with this approach. It's painful to maintain. > Imagine hundreds of different tags, with each package having at least two > tags. You certainly don't expect anyone to be able to maintain that. > Also those files cannot be generated since there needs to be some original > source of tags information to generate such 'sets' from.
This problem is in my mind somewhat twofold. There are 2 ways to approach applying a tag. 1. Opening each package and setting its tags ( package -> tags ) 2. Opening a "tag" file and setting its packages ( tag -> package ) And both approaches are very handy. 1. Is useful because it makes it easy to apply a singular tag surgically. 2. Is useful because it makes it easy to apply one tag to a raft of packages. However, if one wishes to implement something that works without touching anything remotely part of portage itself, and one wants a fast and easy proof of concept , number 2 is the preferable approach. ( Because you can make a basic example set of tags easily simply with a bit of "find > file" for each tag you wish to create ) Ultimately I think we'll see both forms emerging, long term we'll probably edit metadata.xml, and the data will be aggregated to form a singular fast-to-read tag index for each tag. But we can develop the other half of the system, the "Work with an existing tag index of sorts" /now/ and get a working proof of concept without needing to derail ourselves bikeshedding how the portage side of things will work. ( And I think we can expect to see tools emerge for maintaining package tags, whether it be surgically or low-orbit-ion-cannon grade precision ) -- Kent perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );" http://kent-fredric.fox.geek.nz