From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in net-im/qutecom: metadata.xml ChangeLog qutecom-2.2_p20110210.ebuild
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:43:49
1 Mike Frysinger schrieb:
2
3 > otherwise, Rich summed up things nicely in his later post.
4
5 If you mean that common sense thing: if there is disagreement about it,
6 then it is obviously not common.
7
8 >> The second time the package was removed was even without mask or
9 >> announcement.
10 > well, it shouldn't have been re-added in the first place
11
12 Why not? Nothing in the Gentoo documentation forbids adding an ebuild
13 which downgrades linux-headers or any other package.
14
15 And it is not that I dumped the package to rot there. In my email to
16 -devel I said that I was going to address the problem that suddenly
17 became so urgent.
18
19 > i would not consider broken packages (i.e. qutecom) in the tree as basis for
20 > retaining the old versions of linux-headers.
21
22 At no point I even suggested that old linux-headers versions be retained
23 for qutecom.
24
25 > your package is already broken,
26 > and removing the linux-headers would break that depgraph.
27
28 The removed qutecom ebuild was not broken at any time. It builds and
29 runs fine with the packages in portage. It may trigger a linux-headers
30 downgrade, but if that really causes breakage in other packages (and I
31 am not convinced, as you gave only vague arguments, and a Google search
32 didn't turn up anything) then it could be reason for masking. But not
33 reason for removal.
34
35 Only after all <linux-headers-2.6.38 versions are removed, then it is
36 indeed uninstallable and needs to be fixed or treecleaned.
39 Best regards,
40 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn