From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: www-client/chromium-bin
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:07:08
Paweł Hajdan, Jr. posted on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 10:23:34 +0100 as excerpted:

> On 3/5/11 12:58 AM, Alex Alexander wrote: >> I can also give you a binpkg from one of my chroots :P > > It sounds like a possible option. We could then advertise those binpkgs > on the project page, or make them semi-official. If you or someone else > is interested in doing that, I second that effort.
What about handling chromium-bin the same way amd64 handles grub-static? They create a standard binpkg of the normal grub ebuild (using standardized USE flags, of course), using that as the source tarball for the grub-static ebuild, which then simply ebuild-scripts the unpack and install of the binpkg tarball. In theory, the ebuild could even grab and merge the appropriate binpkg based on arch, allowing the ebuild to be keyworded for more archs than the usual binary-only ebuild tends to be, altho I'm not sure that'd work in practice as I'm unsure of the effects on the metadata cache and whether that would be allowed or not. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman