From: Douglas Pollock <pollockd@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:04:35
1 On Tuesday November 16 2004 10:13 am, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > We put ewarn messages in the ebuild to warn about this change. We put
3 > comments in the hotplug init.d script to warn about this change. I
4 > personally did not anticipate it affecting many people (if you are going to
5 > load a module on every boot up, why not just build it directly into the
6 > kernel).
7
8 One possibility is that the module does not exist in the kernel driver tree
9 (third-party). Another possibility is that it is a driver for a pluggable
10 device. If the device is not plugged in, then there is no need for the
11 module to be loaded. A third possibility is that the driver is buggy, and
12 that -- in the event of a problem -- reloading the module can sometimes
13 correct problems.
17 cheers,
18 d.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list