From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing systemd units with gx86 packages
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:36:20
1 On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 09:36:30AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Fellow devs,
3 >
4 > I've started working on bringing systemd to Gentoo [1] lately,
5 > and I think it is important to raise the aspect of systemd unit
6 > inclusion in various packages in gx86 ASAP.
7 >
8 > The number of packages coming with systemd units is growing rapidly
9 > recently, and that especially applies to freedesktop packages.
10 > One side effect of that is that these packages treat systemd
11 > as an automagic dependency, installing systemd units whenever its
12 > pkgconfig file is installed. I already opened two bugs on that [2,3]
13 > but there would be much more...
14
15 I think the better way to handle this will be to patch the build systems
16 to not make this an automagic dependency and send those patches
17 upstream.
18
19 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/automagic.xml
20
21 I'm not a member of qa, but I agree with this position on automagic
22 dependencies.
23
24 William