From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage-2.0.51 STABLE TESTING
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:17:05
1 On Wednesday 20 October 2004 07:14, Duncan wrote:
2 > The problem concisely is this: Certain binary packages say they are
3 > corrupt and refuse to install, altho the tbz2 seems to be fine as does
4 > the ebuild tacked onto the end. It's whatever other data is there that
5 > portage seems to be calling corrupt.
6 >
7 > Trigger situation setup is this: I have hardware stability issues
8 > apparently related to SMP on my dual Opteron (so amd64). Thus, with
9 > "long" ebuilds, such as gcc, glibc, xorg, and the kde ebuilds, I often
10 > find myself rebooting in the middle of the emerge. No problem other
11 > than the frustration, normally, as I simply use ebuild to resume the
12 > compile or install steps (where it usually happens, not surprisingly)
13 > and continue from there as necessary. Sometimes I go into the builddir
14 > and issue make there, then when it succeeds, I go back and do the
15 > ebuild and it redoes configure then (with most packages) zooms thru the
16 > compile since it's all done and continues.
17
18 It seems that this is the actual problem
19
20 I allways use packages, also when using ebuild for example for developing
21 ebuilds (also bailing out halfway, but because of errors). I've never
22 seen this behaviour. The only invalid packages I encountered anytime
23 where created using quickpkg instead of with ebuild package.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer