From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item draft for >=sys-fs/udev-209 upgrade
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:05:57
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 07:32:01 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > If it's okay, I'd want to post this fast, before adding KEYWORDS to
4 > sys-fs/udev-209's ebuild
7 > Title: Upgrading udev to version >=209
8 > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
9 > Content-Type: text/plain
10 > Posted: 2014-02-21
11 > Revision: 1
12 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
13 > Display-If-Installed: <sys-fs/udev-209
14 >
15 > First of all, kernel option CONFIG_FHANDLE=y should be enabled since
16 > version 209 for libudev, but mostly this news item is to inform you
17 > about the network interface naming configuration change:
18
19 Rewording Steev's comment, this wording comes across as rather more
20 informal than most news items. I rather like the approach myself but it
21 does rather stick out.
22
23 A more formal approach might be:
24
25 Two points:
26
27 1) CONFIG_FHANDLE=y is required in your kernel config for >=udev-209.
28
29 2) ...
30
31 > /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules was renamed to
32 > 80-net-setup-link.rules and the actual configuration is at
33 > /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link which you can override in
34 > /etc/systemd/network/
35
36 That's a run-on sentence. Again, not acceptable in formal writing.
37 Continuing from the above, here's a suggested point 2:
38
39 2) The former /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules file is renamed to
40 80-net-setup-link.rules in the same location. If you were overriding
41 udev's predictable naming feature using an identically named file in
42 /etc/udev/rules.d, either rename it accordingly or see the wiki link[1]
43 below for other options.
46 Meanwhile, on the wiki I'd suggest stressing the kernel commandline
47 option (mentioned further up the wiki page but not in the 208-to-209
48 section), since presumably it's not going to be constantly changing to
49 suit systemd-udev's upstream whims, as the script name disabling method
50 seems to be doing.
51
52 Optionally (and IMO preferred), make that the suggested solution in the
53 news item with the following suggested text replacing the above:
54
55 2) /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is being renamed. If you
56 were overriding it with an identically named file in /etc/udev/rules.d/,
57 you'll need to change your override as well. We suggest using the
58 net.ifnames=0 kernel commandline option method as that should remain
59 stable through many udev releases. For other options and more detail,
60 see the wiki link[1] below.
61
62 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade#udev_208_to_209
63 > [2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
64 > PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman