From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reconciling new-style virtuals with overlays, was: RDEPENDing on packages from overlays?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:27:01
1 Zac Medico schrieb:
2 >> Would it make sense to do the following:
3 >> (1) make all new-style virtuals additionally depend on an old-style
4 >> virtual (a new category might be appropriate)
5 >> (2) ebuilds in overlays can PROVIDE the old-style virtual
6 >>
7 > It seems like new-style virtual would be introducing complexity without
8 > adding any value here. Why not just use a pure old-style virtual?
11 The idea is that code for old-style virtuals can be removed from the
12 package manager (which seems to be one of the goals of getting rid of
13 old-style virtuals).
14
15 >> (3) in a future EAPI, package managers are allowed to ignore the
16 >> old-style virtual dependency for packages which are not already installed
17 >>
18 > I'm not sure what you mean here. In || dependencies, it's normal to
19 > ignore choices that are masked or unavailable, so I'm not sure that
20 > you're suggesting anything different from the existing || behavior.
23 Indeed, the old-style virtual will be a non-existing package in the case
24 of a package manager which doesn't support them.
25
26 >> If directly including installed old-style virtual packages in the
27 >> dependency calculations is not feasible, (3) could be implemented
28 >> through modifying package.provided like it is already done for
29 >> package.{keywords,mask,use} after profile/ updates
30 >>
31 > Again, I'm not sure that I understand the point of this. Since ||
32 > dependencies already ignore unavailable or masked choices, why would
33 > package.provided be needed?
36 Because the package manager might not know about old-style virtuals
37 during dependency calculation.
40 Regards,
41 Chi-Thanh Christopher Nguyen