From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to drop "pcre" from default enabled USE flags in profiles
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:54:34
On Wednesday 06 June 2012 14:06:47 Pacho Ramos wrote:
> The problem is that grep keeps linked against libpcre and it can cause > problems like pointed in referred bug report, and it's really risky as > people can have their portage completely broken for example when libpcre > is downgraded for some reason. That doesn't sound like a good *default* > behavior for me
there are plenty of core tools that can be broken by other packages forcing broken behavior like library downgrades. and FEATURES=preserve-libs would gracefully handle this. off the top of my head, lib dependencies that can bring a system down: - bash links against ncurses & readline - sed links against acl - coreutils links against acl/libcap/selinux/gmp - grep links against pcre (with at least USE=acl being a profile default) so highlighting the grep/pcre dep doesn't seem like it accomplishes much -mike