From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] patch: emergemail feature in functions.sh
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:44:50
1 On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:37:23AM -0400, Owen Gunden wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Attached is a small patch for the file functions.sh (part of baselayout)
5 > which implements the feature "emergemail" (set in /etc/make.conf FEATURES).
6 > When this feature is turned on (and an mta is present), all einfo, ewarn,
7 > and eerror messages are emailed to root.
8 >
9 > This is useful if you upgrade or install multiple packages at once, and you
10 > don't want to miss any important messages that go whizzing by.
11 >
12 > There is a major flaw with the current implementation. Namely, you get an
13 > email for _every_ invocation of einfo, ewarn, or error. The way those
14 > functions are commonly used (repeated calls for multi-line messages) makes
15 > avoiding this flaw quite difficult without rather sweeping changes to the
16 > design of emerge/ebuild.
17 >
18 > Comments or suggestions welcome.
19
20 I haven't had time to look at or test the code, but I really love the
21 concept. I'd love to see it integrated into Portage.
24 Jon Portnoy
25 avenj/irc.freenode.net
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list