From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:54:13
1 On 06/20/2012 10:25 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > Here is my wishlist for EAPI 5:
3 >
4 > Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
5 > Automated epatch_user support
6 > Parallel make checks
7 > POSIX Shell compliance
8 >
9 > Here are some explanations:
10 >
11 > Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
12 > The current binaries cause a great deal of pain, particularly when a
13 > user does not want to upgrade something. I had this problem with WINE
14 > and glibc because I wanted to avoid the reverse memcpy() fiasco on my
15 > systems. This situation would have been avoided entirely if the package
16 > manager supported multilib.
17 >
18 > Automated epatch_user support
19 > Users should be able to test patches without modifying their ebuilds.
20 > This also saves developer time because we don't need to navigate the
21 > portage tree (or an overlay), make a change and test it. We could just
22 > dump the patch in the appropriate directory and build.
23 >
24 > Parallel make checks
25 > As it stands, `make check` is so slow that few people actually run it
26 > and QA suffers as a result. We have the ability to do parallel checks,
27 > but we need to explicitly put `emake check` into the ebuild and use
28 > autoconf 1.12 to get that. It would be best if this behavior were the
29 > default, not the exception.
30 >
31 > POSIX Shell compliance
32 > There has been a great deal of work done to give the user full control
33 > of what is on his system and there is more that we can do there. In
34 > particular, I think a lean Gentoo Linux system should be able to use
35 > busybox sh and nothing else. That requires POSIX shell compliance.
36 > OpenRC init scripts support this and the configure scripts support this.
37 > The few exceptions are bugs that are addressed by the Gentoo BSD developers.
38 > As such, I think we should make EAPI=5 use POSIX shell by default. If
39 > an ebuild requires bash, we can allow the ebuild to declare that (e.g.
40 > WANT_SH=bash), but that should be the exception and not the rule.
41
42 It is more likely to succeed either adding to busybox the missing bits
43 of bash we use or forking bash (so eventually it could be developed on a
44 source repo) and making it lean and fast for our specific purposes.
45
46 lu
50 Luca Barbato
51 Gentoo/linux