From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: www-client/chromium-bin
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 02:42:06
1 On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
2 > Anyway, compilation on a modern system shouldn't take more than an
3 > hour. ~15-20 minutes on a quad i5.
4
5 Clearly your definition of modern doesn't include my server... :)
6 Just checked and the last build clocked in at 192 minutes. I need to
7 make sure I have /var/tmp/portage symlinked back to a non-tmpfs
8 location whenever I build it or else the system pretty-much dies from
9 a lack of RAM.
10
11 For kicks I tried to do better with distcc and EC2. That worked great
12 until it started running a bunch of python scripts in the makefile -
13 at -j15 or whatever I had it set to. Distcc really needs a solution
14 for the fact that you can't pick a single optimum value for -j when
15 gcc is only part of the build. Sure, the EC2 latency isn't great, but
16 you can parallelize as much as you want, and for me the bigger benefit
17 is not sucking down half a gig of RAM.
18
19 Still, the build has gotten faster with time as the excellent g.o
20 chromium team slowly strips out bundled libs. If you want a real
21 eye-opener do a du -s * in the source tree for chromium and see where
22 all the code is.