From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] robo-stable bugs
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:23:52
1 On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:15:09 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Tend to agree, but rather than focusing on figuring out who messed
5 > up/etc, let's just move forward.
6
7 The link would be handy to refer to when we need to educate future
8 people; but anyhow, someone else responded something relevant just now.
9
10 Regarding who, it's not a single person; the majority of bugs that
11 _aren't_ automatically filed show this problem, multiple people do so.
12
13 Nobody did bad, there's just a lack of communication *from both sides*.
14
15 > Short of making an automated bug reporting policy I'm not sure how to
16 > better document things. I agree that it is easy to miss stuff in list
17 > archives. Bottom line is people shouldn't take this stuff personally
18 > - just improve and move on.
19
20 Yeah, imho, bots and scripts that run mass actions against anything in
21 the Gentoo infrastructure should be reviewed or be made according to
22 such policy. I haven't seen a review of the last mass actions being,
23 and I don't think they are implemented according to certain standards.
24
25 Some thoughts:
26
27 - Rate limiting.
28
29 - Skim the list the script applies to for exceptions.
30
31 - Run a small enough subset as a test before running the entire thing.
34 > > Severity and Priority on the Gentoo Bugzilla have always been weird
35 > > to me; I would love to hear from someone who is actually using
36 > > either of those to sort their bugs and using them happily, because
37 > > the inconsistency applied by different people is making a mess of
38 > > them.
39 >
40 > I suspect we could just get by with one field.
41
42 Probably, how would such field work? One field being just priority?
43
44 > But, since we're not getting paid it really is more of a
45 > communication/organization tool. At work when we mark bugs high we
46 > expect them to get fixed, since the devs are paid to work on what we
47 > want them to work on, and if that means leaving the blocker alone
48 > while making the splash screen look prettier that's management's
49 > prerogative.
50
51 Yeah, and here at Gentoo the version bumps are attractive; until there
52 are no more version bumps to do, then we often just pick a random bug
53 where we should probably pick one of the more important ones.
54
55 > If we do want to have two fields, then the one should be more of a
56 > factual statement (is it an improvement, something that makes the
57 > package unusable for some users, a regression, something that makes
58 > the package unusable for all users, removal of a blocker, etc -
59 > roughly in increasing severity), and the other a true priority (H/M/L
60 > - which is at the discretion of the maintainer, but perhaps set
61 > initially based on guidelines in order to help them out).
62
63 Yes, bringing more meaning into them is what would be nice to see.
66 With kind regards,
67
68 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
69 Gentoo Developer
70
71 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
72 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
73 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D