From: Jon Lech Johansen <jon@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:25:09
I tried installing the Microsoft codec packs today, including the one Tony Clark pointed out, and they *are* subject to license agreements. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx WM9Codecs.exe: * "Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this Supplemental EULA." * "You may reproduce, install and use one copy of the OS Components on each of your computers that is running a validly-licensed copy of the applicable OS Software, provided that you use each such additional copy of the OS Components in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Supplemental EULA." wmpcdcs8.exe: * "Reproduction. If you have multiple validly licensed copies of the applicable OS Product, you may reproduce, install and use one copy of the OS Components as part of such OS Product on all of your computers running validly licensed copies of the applicable OS Product provided that you use such additional copies of the OS Components in accordance with the terms and conditions above. For each validly licensed copy of the applicable OS Product, you also may reproduce one additional copy of the OS Components solely for archival purposes or reinstallation of the OS Components on the same computer as the OS Components were previously installed. Microsoft retains all right, title and interest in and to the OS Components. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by Microsoft." Also for reference: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx MPSetup.exe: * "Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this Supplemental EULA." * "You may reproduce, install and use one copy of the OS Components on each of your computers that is running a validly licensed copy of the applicable OS Software, provided that you use each such additional copy of the OS Components in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Supplemental EULA." http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/ QuickTimeInstaller.exe: * "Apple reserves all rights not expressly granted to you." * "Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original."