From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding AdobeFlash-10{,.1} licenses to EULA group
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:38:07
1 Dale schrieb:
2 >>>>> One notable section is 7.6 in which Adobe reserves the right to
3 >>>>> download and install additional Content Protection software on the
4 >>>>> user's PC.
5 >>>> Not like anyone will actually *read* the license before adding it to
6 >>>> their accept group, but if they did this would indeed be an important
7 >>>> thing of which users should be aware.
8 >>> I defend it is our job to warn users about this kind of details. To me
9 >>> it sounds that a einfo at post-build phase would do the job, what do
10 >>> you
11 >>> guys think?
12
13 Though I am not opposed to adding a warning, I think the license mask is
14 sufficient. If users demonstrate their indifference by setting
15 ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" or adding AdobeFlash-10.1 without reading the
16 license, then I somehow doubt that elog messages will have an effect.
17 >> Definitely yes! This is a very dangerous snippet in Adobe's license
18 >> which
19 >> should be pretty clearly pointed at to every user.
22 > Could that also include a alternative to adobe? If there is one.
23
24 There are three open-source flash browser plugins in portage:
25 - swfdec: development seems to have stalled
26 - gnash: I have received mixed reports about the stability of the
27 current version. The next release will include VA-API support and other
28 improvements.
29 - lightspark: a recent effort which is in its early stages and still
30 incomplete in many ways (eg. audio support is planned for 0.4.2)
31
32 None of them I consider good enough to replace adobe-flash for the
33 average user.
36 Regards,
37 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn