From: Alastair 'liquidx' Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:56:49
On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 06:38, Chris PeBenito wrote:
> etc. I don't know which one would be chosen if you type "emerge > firebird".
That is one of the reasons why net-www/firebird would be a bad choice. Currently, it is ambigious which one would be chosen.
> net-www/firebird"). Naming it MozillaFirebird would be a violation of > Gentoo's development policy because of the capitalization > (mozillafirebird or mozilla-firebird would be ok).
Indeed, capitialisation is frowned upon for a package name in portage. I support it being called mozilla-firebird or even mozilla-browser as it will be renamed to after 1.4[1]. However, I'm not the maintainer of phoenix or mozilla, so it is ultimately up to them. I have no comment about -bin and -cvs. I don't personally use phoenix so I'm not sure why we have those compared with the regular source release. Cheers, Alastair [1] http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branding.html "When referring to Thunderbird or Firebird before or during the 1.4 release cycle, make sure to use the project name with Mozilla pre-pended as "Mozilla Thunderbird" or "Mozilla Firebird" instead of Mozilla alone or Firebird/Thunderbird alone. ... Use the names "Mozilla Browser" and "Mozilla Mail" to describe the Firebird and Thunderbird projects after the 1.4 release." -- Alastair 'liquidx' Tse >> Gentoo Developer >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/ >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6