From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling multiple packages providing the same convenience symlink
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:04:02
1 On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:57:10 +0000 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I'm liking the idea, but it needs a bit more thought...for example,
4 | what happens when we have vim and nvi wanting to install /usr/bin/vi
5 | as a symlink, and the freebsd system ebuilds wanting to install
6 | /usr/bin/vi as a binary?
7
8 Yeah. TGL's *.system idea could be useful here, or maybe we could
9 specify some kind of 'forced' option. Like, on x86-fbsd maybe the
10 setting could be marked as read only somehow? Presumably detection could
11 see whether or not it's a symlink and base it upon that?
12
13 bsd-box# eselect --list vi
14 [1] /usr/bin/vi (*) [forced]
15 [2] /usr/bin/vim
16 [3] /usr/bin/nvi
17
18 | BTW: that scheme for a kernel symlink definitely beats what we have at
19 | the moment. :)
20
21 Oh, I just threw that in as an afterthought :)
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm