From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Profile-enforced big-endian USE flag
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 02:49:30
1 On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 6:29 PM, James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:52:26 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 6:44 PM, James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > I am therefore proposing a new global big-endian flag. This could be
7 >> > masked by default and unmasked + forced in the relevant profiles under
8 >> > arch. I will apply this according to the mapping defined in tc-endian of
9 >> > toolchain-funcs.eclass.
10 >
11 > I've just been putting the patch together. I made it slightly simpler
12 > by masking *and* forcing it by default so that it only needs to be
13 > unmasked were necessary.
14 >
15 >> A possible alternative would be to create a new USE_EXPAND variable
16 >> for this. That would allow for easier expansion in case we ever
17 >> support something other than big/little endian machines.
18 >
19 > That way madness lies? Wikipedia talks about middle-endian as being the
20 > catch all for other random orderings that have appeared over the years
21 > but I don't think any of them were used on a system-wide basis. I can't
22 > imagine Linux ever supporting such a thing. Unless you're talking about
23 > dealing with soft vs hard float here too?
24
25 No, I'm not referring to anything specifically. Just wanted to point
26 out the possibility of having a multi-value variable instead of a
27 boolean.
28
29 If that seems very un-useful, please disregard.