From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multilib and the compatibility to singlelib
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:19:35
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 October 2009 07:34:18 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 >> Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 09:06:29 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
5 >>>> As I'm building the toolchain myself too, I configure it with the
6 >>>> 32bit host triplet on each platform, usually disabling multilib.
7 >>> this doesnt make any sense to me
8 >> What exactly doesn't make sense to you:
9 >
10 > it doesnt make sense to build your own toolchain when the default native one
11 > Gentoo provides includes all multilib support already.
12 >
13 > but i guess when you're commercially developing a binary-only package, people
14 > tend to not have such freedoms as the binary-only mentality infects all
15 > layers.
16
17 Even if it's commercially, it isn't binary-only here. But it is bound
18 to a specific set of (likely older) toolchain versions usually not
19 available on the target system.
20 I just don't want to make an exception for Gentoo Linux hosts when it
21 does work on both RedHat and SuSE Linux as well as *nix.
22
23 >>>> Isn't the intention of multilib to have a new (64bit) system
24 >>>> be compatible with the corresponding old (32bit) system?
25 >>> your description of "compatible" is pretty vague. ignoring /lib ->
26 >>> /lib64 symlink (which shouldnt matter to any binaries), i'm not aware of
27 >>> any differences off the top of my head.
28 >> Well, "compatible" here means to me that when I do
29 >> $ configure --{build,host}=i686-pc-linux-gnu
30 >
31 > assuming you simply forgot the forcing of -m32 here, or you have a fully named
32 > i686-pc-linux-gnu-... toolchain
33
34 I do (like to) have a fully qualified i686-pc-linux-gnu-* toolchain.
35 Adding -m32 would require to create the i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc wrapper,
36 resulting in some kind of a fully qualified i686 toolchain again.
37
38 >> It turns out that it is the "/lib resolving to 64bit" thing only that
39 >> causes me headaches here, which actually is distro-specific.
40 >
41 > i'm not against changing things to fall in line with what other distros have
42 > settled on (guess that's the risk you take when you're one of the first
43 > distros to do multilib), i just want this kind of decision to be fully
44 > informed / thought out before making it. it's not something i'd label
45 > "trivial".
46
47 Fully agreed. But as I don't have time to carry on this symlink change,
48 I'm going to live with the patches for now (in Prefix).
49 OTOH, Debian uses /lib->/lib64 symlink too IIRC...
50
51 Thank you!
52 /haubi/