From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Flags
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:09:24
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:21:39 +0100
Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:01:18 +0100 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote: > > > I'll add some nice tag to support this. > > I'm sorry to insist, but is there something wrong with using > use.local.desc, as i've proposed in bug #84884? I don't understand > the rational for choosing metadata.xml. In my opinion, it makes > this detailed description less likely to be written (more > complex syntax, whereas the one of .desc file is already > well-known), and less likely to be read (lack of user tools > whereas there are plently for use.local.desc, which would need at > most small trivial changes, if any). > > Also, take the following scenario: > > - use.local.desc has: > "cat/pkgA:foo - adds support for libfoo as a replacement of \ > libbar. Do not enable it but if you really know what you do." > > - then comes cat/pkgB, which also support libfoo: > "cat/pkgB:foo - adds support for libfoo, for playing .foo files" > > - And more packages start supporting libfoo, thus "foo" becomes > a global flag: > "foo - adds support for libfoo" > With the "metadata.xml" approach, that will require moving the > existing descriptions from use.local.desc to the various xml > files. At the contrary, with the "keep it in use.local.desc" > approach, no additional work is required... > > > So could someone explain me that choice?
Well, nothing has been finalised so far (no tool support for either solution), and thinking about it we might even use both solutions: use.local.desc for package-specific short descriptions (like at the moment) and metadata.xml for longer detailed descriptions if required, similar to <longdescription>. Opinions? Marius -- Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.