From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Handling of test USE flag in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:08:39
Am 16.09.2010 03:46, schrieb Ryan Hill:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:02:00 +0200 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote: > >> From discussion on IRC, it seems, like there are different options, so i would like to clarify this >> policy: >> >> The test USE flag is (i am only talking about portage now, since i am most familar with it) an >> internal flag, which is added by portage for every ebuild and enabled/disabled based on >> FEATURES=test or not. It is not managed via USE= line in make.conf or package.use settings. So in >> handling and setting, it is pretty much the same as for the arch USE flags, which are also only >> internally used and added, but never exposed to the users. >> Now i see the opinion, that it should always be added to IUSE, when it is referenced in the ebuild. >> This adds it to the visible USE flags in emerge output (imho pointless, since it is no option, which >> can be enabled/disabled like the other USE flags), but otherwise does change nothing. >> >> Because of this, i would like to discourage the addition of test USE flag to IUSE, since it is just >> an internal USE flag, which should not be exposed to the user. > > Well, it does indicate the presence of optional dependencies. > > I've always thought the test USE flag being forced by FEATURES=test was > messed up. Why can't it be controlled package-by-package, with FEATURES=test > just enabling USE=test by default? > >
Controling the test USE flag alone without the test FEATURE is useless, since it wont run the src_test phase. And being able to disable the test USE flag with FEATURES=test will result in missing deps or build-system args. Can you tell me any reason, why you want to expose and control the test USE flag independently of FEATURES=test? -- Thomas Sachau Gentoo Linux Developer