From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Enable FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified by default?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:57:41
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> wrote:
> On 2012-05-16 12:13 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote: >>>> make.conf(5) man page: >>>>   This causes the CONFIG_PROTECT behavior to be skipped for files that >>>>   have not been modified since they were installed. >> >> +1 very good idea > > Hmm, does that mean that when a default changes in (or some new setting > is added to) an app config file, I'll get no prompt and no warning > assuming I go with the default settings in the app?  That presumes that > the new default or the new setting does not break my setup.  That is a > big assumption.
Generally, several PMS (I think apt does it as well) make this assumption: if config file C owned by package P has never been modified, meaning that md5 or whatever is the same, the old C of P was fine, so is the new C. On the other hand, if the old C has been modified, then the above assumption is not valid. This also helps a lot in the scenario where critical configuration files are not updated before reboot, which might result in an unbootable system (ouch!).
> > Even if we go with enabling it by default, please have a news item so > that one can turn it off if necessary.  Even then, new installs will > have to remember to turn it off. > > -- > Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> >
-- Fabio Erculiani