From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Bug voting
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:05:57
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted <20040730034129.69c54140@××××××××.home>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 30 Jul 2004 03:41:29 +0100:
3
4 > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:50:58 -0400 Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > | On Thursday 29 July 2004 11:14 am, Duncan wrote:
7 > | > Anyway, Gentoo does great documentation, and with the bug entry
8 > | > wizard, the bugzilla interface is at least semi-usable, but Gentoo
9 > | > bugzilla is still by far the worst aspect of Gentoo Linux I've yet
10 > | > come across.
11 > |
12 > | Well, the query screen is powerful, and as a consequence, it's ugly.
13 >
14 > It is? Actually, I'd say that the query is utterly crippled, since
15 > there's no way to search for all bugs on a particular package.
16
17 Exactly my point.
18
19 As I said earlier, component should be the particular package, complete
20 with drop-down list preventing user error on such an important field. The
21 summary should be a summary of the problem and not need the package name
22 or version.
23
24 What to do with stuff that doesn't fit that mold, then, in the broader
25 categories we presently put in product and component?
26
27 To some extent, they could be made other choices even if the meta-level
28 isn't quite the same.
29
30 The other way to handle it would be to create multiple bugzillas. Instead
31 of simply bugs.gentoo.org, there'd be linux.bugs.gentoo.org to handle the
32 mainline/traditional software product bugs, and other subdomains as
33 appropriate for the current top-level "products", therefore
34 admin.bugs.gentoo.org, recruitment.bugs.gentoo.org, etc.
35
36 One advantage of that would be that the bugzilla front-end and database
37 could be used, without shoehorning everything entered there into being
38 described as a "bug". Thus, altho I'm not sure exactly what is
39 tracked by the other categories, rather than admin.bugs.gentoo.org, it
40 could be called something like admin-tracker.gentoo.org, or
41 admin-db.gentoo.org, or admin-feedback.gentoo.org, or, perhaps
42 feedback.admin.gentoo.org, or tracker.admin.gentoo.org.
43
44 Of course, bugzilla admins and even experienced developers and users would
45 easily see it as bugzilla, but with the labels massaged a bit, it wouldn't
46 /look/ like a bug database, to someone not accustomed to working with one,
47 and sometimes, what something is called makes a big difference.
48
49 As I said, however, I'm not sure it'd be practical to attempt to switch
50 horses in mid-stream, as they say. Further, I'll come right out and say
51 I'm rather to much of a newbie to pretend that what I might have to say
52 should have any status at all. If it makes sense and can be used, great.
53 Otherwise, Gentoo's still the best (meta-)distribution option I've come
54 across, and I'll continue to use it, improving my skills and familiarity
55 with my distrib of choice, and aiming toward active participation at
56 whatever level I happen to be at, perhaps even as a developer if that time
57 should come.
61 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
62 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
63 Benjamin Franklin
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list