From: John Whitney <jjw@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP for Deltup package update system
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:46:30
1 The space requirements are dynamic - they can be scaled to any level desired. We don't need patches for every package. This is accomplished by knowing which patches are available before trying to download them. You can provide a significant number of patches with just 100MB of space. Take a look at my demo repository: ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/deltup/patchfiles. All these patches take under 50MB and are still not fully optimized (newer patches will be about 33% more efficient). It'd be great to start out with patches for kernel, kde, gnome, gcc, mozilla, and some other big and necessary packages. Remember, there are a lot of dial-up users out there (some with only one phone line! :O :) )
2 A quota based system would be fine...
3 ---JJW
4
5 > Making those files available on our mirroring system is not as easy as you
6 > might think. It is not a big-bang tranformation, meaning we will need to
7 > continue to support people using the old way. Therefore, deltup will
8 > require additional space on our mirrors. Before we can commit to
9 > supporting this on our already-bulging mirror system, someone needs to
10 > identify *exactly* what sort of space requirements this system will
11 > require. (ok, not exactly, but at least within a 10% margin of error)
12
13 > --kurt
14 --
16 http://www.linuxmail.org/
17 Now with e-mail forwarding for only US$5.95/yr
18
19 Powered by Outblaze
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list