From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Compaq Presario 905 AU with ATI IGP 320M video
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:50:17
1 This material would really be better suited to the gentoo-desktop
2 mailing list. This list is for issues concerning the development of gentoo.
3
4 Steve
5
6 Nick Rout wrote:
7 > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:18:35 -0400
8 > "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o> wrote:
11 >>This really isn't discussion material for gentoo-dev.
14 > maybe, and maybe not. it is probably of concern to dev's as to what
15 > works and what doesn't on gentoo, although this may be better thought of
16 > as an upstream issue. Also I saw some relevant posts from "spyderous" on
17 > the forums, and I think he inhabits this list.
20 >>Have you tried
21 >>the forums or google yet?
25 > I thought the answer to that may have been obvious from me saying "I can find plenty
26 > of older info suggesting that 3d hardware accel will not work with this
27 > chipset, and that vesa was the only driver, but I am not sure if any of
28 > that has changed since 2003 " Yes I have googled and forumed. I am an
29 > experienced linux user, and I do know how to search for information.
30 > google is full of references to polish speaking email forums, its not
31 > the help it used to be. The gentoo forums have become a victim of their
32 > own success. One thread had 73 pages, and no way of knowing wheter the
33 > search terms are on page 2 or page 72.
34 >
35 > I'm sorry I just thought someone round here might have some up to date
36 > info.
42 >>Steve
43 >>
44 >>Nick Rout wrote:
45 >>
46 >>>I am wondering if anyone can tell me the current state of the play with
47 >>>3d hardware acceleration with the above machine.
48 >>>
49 >>>I can find plenty of older info suggesting that 3d hardware accel will
50 >>>not work with this chipset, and that vesa was the only driver, but I am
51 >>>not sure if any of that has changed since 2003 when most of the
52 >>>reviews/howtos I could find were published.
53 >>>
54 >>>I have an opportunity to buy a second hand one, but wanted to know this
55 >>>answer first :-)
56 >>>
57 >>>Thanks for any info.
58 >>>