From: Mark Constable <markc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Release/Stable/Dev
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:21:11
1 On Thursday 21 November 2002 00:43, Riyad Kalla wrote:
2 > I notice so much activity on this list all the time with new packages
3 > and new ideas and new ebuilds, etc. etc...
4 > ...
5 > This is cool and everything, but it also makes it hard for people that
6 > need to get a "stable release quality" version to say slap on a
7 > production server...
8 > ...
9 > How do I combat this? Say if I'm interested in a rock-solid snapshot of
10 > Gentoo without going through an ungodly amount of administrative setup
11 > and mirroring of the snapshot etc.?
12
13 Just an idea that does not require upstream supervision.
14
15 rsync the portage tree as per normal and create two other
16 directories to hold alternate portage trees and make two
17 extra complete copies of the original tree. Setup a cron
18 job everyday to basically (untested)...
19
20 find /path/to/portage -type f -mtime +7 -exec cp {} /path/to/portage2 \;
21 find /path/to/portage2 -type f -mtime +21 -exec cp {} /path/to/portage3 \;
22
23 so that any ebuild that lasts 7 days without being updated
24 will get copied over to the portage2 dir tree, then the
25 same from the portage2 tree to the portage3 tree after
26 another 3 weeks... so that portage3 should always be 4
27 weeks behind the current developement... with ebuilds
28 that have succesfully migrated there from lack of being
29 modified, which infers some stability with that ebuild.
30 A bit of individual fiddling with the +7 and +21 might
31 be required to suit everyones idea of stability and use
32 a softlink to point to whichever tree you actually want
33 to use.
34
35 Think of it as the Debian unstable|testing|stable triage.
36
37 --markc
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list