From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python Probs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:13:57
drobbins@g.o wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 06:02:12PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote: > > > I allways thought sys contains everything required to build itself and > > everythin required for a minimum runtime system. perl is needed to build > > some of the sys packages, thats why it is there. python is not required for > > building and not for runtime, so it is not there. > > You are correct that if we need a package that's used in rebuilding the system, > it's included in sys. But, this isn't the *only* way we select packages for > sys. All the packages in sys-devel, sys-apps, sys-kernel and sys-libs make up > the "base" system. My goals for the base system are to provide a reasonably > complete, fully-functional basic Linux system. There are a lot of things in > sys that aren't really needed, such as man pages and the "bc" utility.
You wanted a full set of man-pages in sys and I found that it is usefull even on a minimum system because it is needed if something in the compilation goes wrong. bc is required for compilation of a few packages I think if not we can drop it.
> But > they're included because they are useful and popular things that are very > helpful to Linux users (and expected to be available). Rather than think of > sys as "everything required for a minimum runtime system", think of it as > "everything you'd expect to find in a basic but fully-functional (and useful) > console-based Linux system".
Hmm, rmm, no. sys is the nucleus that is able to reproduce itself and the core for everythin else. Otherwise we must include tcsh/wget/cvs/telnet....... And finaly our sys is 500MB big. Your idea of a minimum system is something I always hated on SuSE. If I wanted a real minimum sytsem I had to remove dozends of for my situation really unneeded packages after installing what they called minimum-system. Why not continue like we did it in the past and add usefull packages from other categories to the sys.tbz2?
> If someone needs a "stripped sys" (for a special > project), it's easy enough to remove the packages that aren't needed (or use a > build list to avoid building/merging them in the first place). > > > If you insist in having python in sys.tbz2 I can include a version compiled > > without use tcl-tk in the sys.tbz2 but dev-lang is the place. :-) > > Well, one of the nice things about being the Chief Architect is that I never > need to insist :)
Is this the way you think about partnership? I spend nearly every day last year to gentoo-linux (Had earned enogh money last year to be able to do that) and I always (beside our discussions about xml/ebuild :-) ) found you are able to discuss things out.
> I'll wait for further comments. The two alternatives I'm > considering are the python-x11 package
Can't the X/tc-tk support be compiled as a separate module?
> and the "rebuild it for X support" > solution.
With "use tc-tk X" ?