From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage in Prolog: how about logic programming in Python?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:38:06
1 On Thursday 20 November 2003 17:02, Jean Jordaan wrote:
2 > 'lo Pieter
3 >
4 > Thanks for taking a look!
5 >
6 > > However I saw the following warning:
7 > >
8 > > WARNING: The cut doesn't work well in the current PyLog version
9 >
10 > Ah, but as usual with these open source things the next line is
11 > "Any collaboration is welcome ;-)" .. perhaps your prolog zen is
12 > deep enough to disolve the difficulty the PyLog devs saw :]
13 >
14 > > I was under the impression that prolog has very few dependencies
15 > > and is able to interact with most languages (including python),
16 >
17 > My concern as a relative outsider is just that I love to be able
18 > to browse the source of the glue that holds my system together,
19 > namely portage, with some chance of understanding it .. which is
20 > way higher with Python than with Prolog .. that said, PyLog parses
21 > Prolog .. so much for that idea I guess.
22
23 What is the point in interpreting one language (prolog) in another interpreted
24 language (pyton)? It can't be anything but inefficient.
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer