From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:59:47
1 Hey guys,
2
3 Just read through this entire thread, and one concern still rings loud
4 and clear -- what is the purpose of this fork?
5
6 The various responses I've read so far are something like:
7
8 - Because Linus yelled a lot when udev/Kay broke firmware loading.
9
10 Except both Linus and the udev people fixed the problem. Linus added
11 direct filesystem loading in the kernel [1], and I'm told the udev
12 folks also fixed their hang and async situation.
13
14 - Because udev requires systemd.
15
16 Except the patches to build udev without systemd are not very large.
17
18 - Because of kmod.
19
20 Still required for things, even if its indirectly removed.
21
22 - Because we want to have separate /usr working again.
23
24 Will udev alone actually fix the separate /usr functionality? What's
25 required here?
26
27 Don't bother responding to the above bullet points, even if they're
28 garbage. Instead, read on to what I'm really after.
31 In general, what I'm looking for is some kind of well-written,
32 well-thought out mission statement, that clearly says "okay here are
33 the issues, here's generally how we're going to solve them, and here's
34 why you should feel good about this being a Gentoo project."
35
36 At the moment, I haven't found anything like this, and the fact that
37 it's an official Gentoo project consuming the time and hearts of
38 intelligent developers makes me concerned, since I'm in the dark as to
39 its purpose and motivation.
40
41 All I'm asking is some kind of coherent mission statement. If the
42 aggregated responses to the bullet points above are inaccurate, don't
43 bother responding to those inaccuracies on a point by point basis or
44 bikeshed on them, or whatever happens on mailing lists. Just, please,
45 tell everybody what exactly you want to do, why you want to do it, and
46 what this is all about.
47
48 Thanks a lot,
49 Jason