From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:54:34
Hi!

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote: > > Yeah... this is why I was asking about access to infra to test the > > conversion; so far, I haven't had any replies, though. > > A mock conversion would probably help with creating > procedures/docs/etc as well. It is nice to say that we're "just going > to use git" but I think everybody has a slightly different picture of > how that is going to work.
I recommend having a smallish set of willing alpha/beta testers for this. This usually helps with some of the near-edge cases. You'll still find a thousand other bugs once things go live for everybody. Still, it turns a million into a thousand. It also gives you slightly more realistic load test.
> If we could set up an "official unofficial" portage tree in git based > on a one-time migration (maybe refreshing it from time to time) that > could be a sandbox used to work things out, and it would then be > replaced with the official tree. When the official migration comes > along we'd already be experts in doing it.
This is a good idea that goes nicely with what I wrote above.
> All we need to do is execute the migration, and just not point the > rsync generation process at it. Maybe it won't be perfectly right at > first, and that would basically be the point of doing it. Devs could > update tools to work against it, and the docs could be written > alongside.
The scientist in me wonders how big the dent in productivity will be, actually. After all, there's going to be a lot of people that will hammer the new setup just because of the New! Shiny! appeal. Regards, Tobias