From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: include dbus session handling in baselayout (or somewhere, in which case where?)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 03:11:04
On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 22:02:23 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote: > > On Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:20:15 Leho Kraav wrote: > >> /etc/profile.d/dbus-session.sh attached, looking for feedback about > >> problems with it and if the whole approach even makes sense. I might be > >> not knowing something important. > > > > i dont think this makes sense in baselayout. it works great without > > dbus. > > > > doesnt the login manager already take care of launching a dbus-session ? > > I believe the use-case is being able to control applications from the > VTs without having to launch a dbus session manually. Which should be > done via ~/.bashrc, to be honest. Makes no sense to have a global dbus > session, since it's supposed to be per-user.
i imagine this could be done via pam too i dont think this is a global dbus session. it's in profile.d which means it gets executed at shell login time. i think you meant .bash_login rather than .bashrc. probably the only place this could be integrated is in the dbus ebuild itself. install it as a doc file and elog the info to make the user aware of it. i don't think this is something we want to install automatically. -mike