From: "David Gümbel" <ganymede@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for windows apps under wine?
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 14:05:09
1 On Samstag 07 Mai 2005 22:32, aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
2 > Are there any plans for supporting ebuilds for windows apps which use
3 > wine? I just installed wine (via the ebuild) to enable DVDShrink to
4 > be installed. Worked like a charm, but it would have been much cooler
5 > to 'emerge dvdshrink' and have wine pulled in as a dependancy.
6
7 As things stand, Wine is not at all in a state that can be called stable, so
8 what works with the monthly release of, say, april can very well break
9 totally in june. To me that means there's not much use in providing ebuilds
10 for something that is quite probable to break in four or eight weeks.
11
12 This should change with the arrival of Wine 0.9, which we'll hopefull see
13 this year (planned for september, see the WineConf wrapup [1]), so from a
14 technical POV, that issue might go away at least for some apps in the
15 not-too-distant future.
19 Cheers,
23 David
24