From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:52:06
1 On 26/09/2013 17:53, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-09-26, o godz. 15:15:38
3 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> Thus I suggest declaring a policy:
6 >>
7 >> ""
8 >> Any library bump that would trigger revdep-rebuild should be done with
9 >> the affected library package.mask'ed until all its consumers have been
10 >> properly bumped to subslot-aware versions.
11 >> ""
12 >>
13 >> (The unmasking of the library then triggers a "migration" to happy
14 >> portage updates that don't need human supervision)
15 >
16 > How do we handle packages which install multiple libraries? I'm afraid
17 > forcing such a policy and/or hurrying developers to adapt will only
18 > cause more of poppler-like issues to occur.
19 >
20 There isn't a 100% perfect solution currently, and I agree that hurrying
21 people will simply move us from "not enough rebuilds" to "too many
22 rebuilds".
23
24 Poppler was a great example of what can go wrong. Apart from people
25 being forced to rebuild packages that link only against one of the
26 stable interfaces, I even saw rebuilds forced for packages that didn't
27 even link against the libraries.