From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:51:17
1 On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:44:30 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ühel kenal päeval, E, 10.04.2017 kell 17:33, kirjutas William L.
5 > Thomson Jr.:
6 > > Add a new Java version and recompiling packages with it, will also
7 > > immediately show breakage if any.
8 > >
9 > > If your saying Python code is of higher quality than Java. I would
10 > > digress heavily on that. You have leniency in python not being
11 > > strong typed. Lack of generics and stuff could only mean that could
12 > > be worse.
13 > > Relying on internals to handle data types for you.
14 >
15 > Which is why python modules can't just pretend to work with a newer
16 > python by merely happening to "compile" and install. It is not
17 > strongly typed and it does not involve a AOT phase (pyc is just a
18 > semi-binary representation of the source code really) and issues are
19 > not found unless properly tested at runtime or test suite.
20
21 Java is strong typed. Lots things in Java have tests. That does not
22 ensure no bugs. Nor does that mean things are the same all the time.
23
24 Case in point. I have issues that upstream does not. Both on JDK 1.8,
25 and java is java so it should be the same right?
26
27 Fix for Java 1.8 and Guice 4.1
28 https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/1036
29
30 Its likely a matter of dependencies. Their guice may not have been
31 compiled as Java 1.8. Thus I may be triggering something they are not.
32 It is not easily figured out if the fix is needed or not. Though in my
33 case without it fails. In their case without it does not fail....
34
35 > > Regardless of new eclass, the TARGETS remain. Things did not change
36 > > from a user perspective. Recently packaging some ebuilds, the
37 > > COMPAT/VERSION does not seem to have changed. Despite what ever
38 > > changes to the eclass.
39 >
40 > Users don't get unexpected failures, as things that are claimed to
41 > work with a given python version, probably actually do so.
42
43 This really is no different. We are not talking about a new python
44 version going straight to stable. Any issues would be in ~arch, and
45 short of speculation. It may not effect as many packages as people
46 think.
47
48 If python is really breaking that much between even 3.x releases. Then
49 just shows that much more how it sucks. Though I think breakage could
50 be looked out for. Code modified. Fixes sent upstream. etc.
51
52 When I see lots of versions. Seems more like people are maintaining vs
53 fixing/patching the code and sending stuff upstream. I would have more
54 but not everything do I take upstream. Depends on if I feel they will
55 be receptive or a waste of my time.
56
57 Thankfully most in Java are forward looking. Most active projects
58 already support 1.8 and have things being tested under Java 9.
61 William L. Thomson Jr.