From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The changes about the stabilization process
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:22:57
1 On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 16:44:12 +0100
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:31:19 +0000
4 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > We made a deliberate decision not to use the word "atom" in PMS
6 > > because it means subtly different things in different contexts.
7 >
8 > You're doing it again! You're not citing any decisions on actual
9 > mailing lists, chat logs or in documentation, and you use
10 > qualifications like "subtl[e]" to denote some deeper rationale that
11 > is apparently very difficult to explain to the "uninitiated". Good
12 > job, if your job was to deter the "uninitiated".
13 >
14 > Where was that decision recorded? What subtle differences did you
15 > perceive? Which contexts lead to those different meanings, and why did
16 > you not keep "atom" and qualify it according to context? Did you
17 > document the history, present and future of the term "atom" so you
18 > could point out why it was rejected for future use? Even, what
19 > real-world problem were you trying to solve in rejecting "atom"?
20
21 Unfortunately we had a team of three when writing PMS to begin with,
22 and the emphasis was on producing a definitive spec, not a history book.
23 We did not have a volunteer archivist at the time. If you'd like to
24 volunteer to start, I'm sure you'd be welcome to produce an annotated
25 PMS for people who are interested in that kind of thing -- the
26 annotated C++ reference manual was a lovely read, back when it was
27 maintained.
30 Ciaran McCreesh