From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Questions about proxy-maint (Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:44:20
1 On 27 December 2012 05:39, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > It could actually be just the Proxy Maintainer workflow is not clear enough,
3 > or simple enough, and that we need more push towards a more heavy
4 > proxy-maintainer based system ( I don't know, I'm ignorant to too much of
5 > proxy-maintainer-ship stuff, to discern /why/ that is might be difficult,
6 > but I'd imagine my ignorance is part of the problem )
7
8 Ok, after a bit of twitter, it seems part of my problem is I am just
9 more comfortable, at least, in an initial recruitment scenario,
10 working in a semi-proxy maintainer scenario.
11
12 I like having other people review changes and soforth, and I like
13 having a layer of protection between me and fuckery, and going from 0
14 to "Can cause damage to CVS" is not something I'm fond of.
15
16 And possibly, I can be helpful via the proxy maintainership avenue,
17 and maybe more traffic going that way could be helpful.
18
19 However, I note a problem of sorts:
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/ => http://i.imgur.com/o0BqO.png
22
23 Nothing here really goes towards proxy maintainership, and if proxy
24 maintainership is a introduction to possible dev status, it really
25 should be more forth coming.
29 ie: It really requires research to even know that there is such a
30 concept as a "Proxy Maintainer" within Gentoo, and even then, looking
31 at gentoo.org doesn't really give an obvious answer. Sure, you can
32 fire up Google and type "Gentoo Proxy Maintainer" and get
33
34 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/proxy-maintainers/index.xml
35
36 But by then, you already know what you're looking for.
37
38 But even then, looking at that page, I have questions / confusions
39 that should probably be clarified / written on that page.
40
41 How does the proxy maintainership "work" exactly?
42 How do changes get pushed to the tree?
43 What tools do I need to use?
44 What can I do at my end to set up an optimal setup for contribution?
45 ie: Do we need an anoncvs checkout and submit changes as patchfiles?
46 And what really is the scope of proxy-maintainership?
47 ie: What about people who can assist with >1 thing, ie: a category
48 such as dev-perl/ , or maybe people have skills with x11-*/* but can't
49 commit to fulltime dev
50 Where can I see the current activity of other proxy maintainers to get
51 a feel for it?
52
53 Essentially, the more that can be known up front, so we can do
54 something, *before* contacting proxy-maint@ , the better, because then
55 we can do something, and have stuff ready to present when contacting
56 proxy-maint@ , instead of the inverse, having to contact proxy-maint@,
57 and essentially wait for a response, and then get started ( somehow)
58 based on that response, which basically boils down to waiting for
59 permission to think about contributing.
60
61 If participating/contributing to the proxy-maint project can be done
62 without emails/direct chat* , then the barriers to contribution are
63 lower
64
65 * for the sake of my example, bug reports really don't classify the
66 same as "direct chat", by direct chat I mean informal unstructured
67 conversation, "bugs" and "pull requests" and so-forth are very
68 explicit and categorized and things don't get lost or confused in
69 quite the same way they tend to do with direct chat.