From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo stats server/client @ 2009-06-21
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 03:28:24
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > 1. That's not the only location used for layman.
3 > - At home: /code/gentoo/layman/
4 > - At work: /usr/local/portage-layman/
5 > - Gentoo Infra: /usr/portage/local/layman/
6 >
7 > 2. Just because an overlay is distributed by layman does NOT mean that
8 > it's safe to disclose the existence of, within Gentoo infra, we do
9 > this in layman.cfg:
10 > overlays : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
11 > file:///etc/layman/infra-overlays.xml
12 >
13 > While I don't mind disclosing the list of overlays we have in infra,
14 > other large-scale use of layman might not be happy to disclose it.
15 > If it came from the layman-global.txt, sure, it might be ok, but see if there's
16 > a way to filter out others.
17
18 I have implemented a more sophisticated algorithm by now:
19
20 def is_global(overlay_location):
21 name = overlay_name(overlay_location)
22 return overlay_location.startswith(layman_storage_path) \
23 and same_repository(
24 available_installed_overlay_dict[name],
25 global_overlay_dict[name])
26
27 The dictonaries in the last two lines are maps from name to url:
28 - available_installed_overlay = from %(local_list)s
29 - global_overlay_dict = from layman-global.txt
30
31 Please let me know what you think about that approach.
32 To check it out live grab the two python files from
33 http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=smolt-gentoo.git;a=tree;f=client/distros/gentoo;hb=refs/heads/gentoo
34 and run
35
36 $ python gentoo.py | fgrep 'OVERLAYS'
37
38 For my current setup it prints
39
40 NUMBER_OF_PRIVATE_OVERLAYS = 2
41 NUMBER_OF_PUBLIC_OVERLAYS = 7
42 OVERLAYS = ['toolchain', 'rbu', 'sunrise', 'zugaina',
43 'berkano', 'python-testing', 'python-experimental']
47 Sebastian