From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc vs tcc
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:16:13
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 01:30:40 +0100
Fernand Albarracin <fernand8@×××××××.fr> wrote:

> Hi, > > How about simply using an environnement variable such as CC ? The user > would set it in /etc/make.conf as he already does with CFLAGS and > friends. But he would propably do the following instead : > > CC=tcc; CFLAGS=-g; emerge stuff > > CC would even allow to have multiple GCC version to choose from > (right?). And the best from a maintainer point of view: no > ebuild-specific work required.
In this case, the problem is that the user will have to be informed of that _before_ doing the gobo compilation. As per ebuild rules, we are not allowed to stop the build process and ask the user for input, so at best, he'd see a notice scrolling by at high speed saying "this package would take 2mins to compile if you have chosen tcc, but you haven't, too bad for you". I certainly agree with you that the CC=tcc is a nicer approach (perhaps even the nicest approach of them all), but it requires the user to actually _know_ he can benefit from using tcc on gobo beforehand. That's a very steep requirement imho, given the fact that very few people have heard of tcc, nobody's heard of gobo, and it's hardly commonplace to think you can get a 30x improvement in compilation time just by switching compilers :) Kind regards, Karl T -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list