From: Lorcan Gavin <lorcan@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PPP Net Install.
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:25:47
1 Hello there.
2
3 I noticed your basic installation instructions make no reference to installing over a dial-up connection. As wget resumes downloads its perfectly possible ...
4
5 Can you please let me know how this might work? I am loathe to remove my entire debian install in favour of trying gentoo if I cannot be 100% certain of the procedure.
6
7 Debian has a utility called pppconfig which I use to configure my ISP details and then connect to the net using pon isp, poff. I do not use the ppp utlity in the standard debian installation program - it doesnt work correctly. I likewise do not like having to write connect scripts and other time consuming activities.
8
9 Does Gentoo have this facility, a similar app or a clone of pppconfig? If so would you consider documenting this for the Gentoo website, so that the millions of people still using dial-up in developing countries (heh, such as the UK) can make use of Gentoo LINUX. I have asked on the irc channel of open projects.net but not a single person on there could help. :(
10
11 I would greatly appreciate your insight on this as I'm desperate to try out Gentoo. From what I hear it is the dogs bollocks of LINUX.
12
13 :O)
14
15 Lorc.