From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: stable-bot is down. Temporary? Forever? Can we have a contacts page for it?
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 12:22:50
1 On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 7:57 AM Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 10/8/19 7:21 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > In any case, since many people *do* rely on it, maybe we should declare it
5 > > official? [+]
6 > >
7 > > And, if that's OK with both of you, move it onto infra hardware?
8 > >
9 > > Happy to sponsor both for the next council meeting agenda.
12 > > [+] At some point the one remaining whiner doesnt count anymore.
15 > In the past, infra has been understandably hesitant to take on new
16 > services due to staffing issues.
17 >
18 > Additionally, I understand that the current infra design does not easily
19 > allow granular access control, preventing non-infra members from easily
20 > performing maintenance on individual services.
21 >
22 > Has this situation changed? I doubt infra want to take responsibility
23 > for the bot, and I don't fancy the hassle of trying to find people to
24 > poke things on my behalf.
27 IMO we should have a few tiers:
28
29 1. Absolutely core stuff that infra has to run (authentication, LDAP,
30 maybe some services, etc).
31 2. Community-run stuff that is FOSS, with public config tracking
32 (minus passwords/etc), and reasonably good docs.
33 3. Community-run stuff that is the wild west.
34
35 IMO having a service catalog that includes all of this stuff is
36 beneficial, with clear indications as to which tier each thing is in
37 and who to contact with issues.
38
39 Depending on #1-2 shouldn't really be a problem. #3 can be a
40 playground for experimentation but shouldn't be something we really
41 depend on for core workflow. To mitigate the risk of #2 we could have
42 exercises to clone services following docs/etc. If anything #2 has
43 the potential to be more reliable than #1 if it gets enough attention
44 (though there is no reason our internal services couldn't also be made
45 easy-to-replicate).
46
47 I think the issue here is that we don't really have any standards for
48 #2, but it is clear that this particular bot is intended to meet those
49 requirements but doesn't quite do so today.
50
51 I think this is a compromise that could help us focus our infra
52 resources where they're needed most, with some separation of concerns.
53 Ideally we should also make it possible via single-sign-on
54 technologies to leverage infra's authentication services for stuff in
55 tier 2, and maybe tier 3. Biggest risk is phishing if somebody spoofs
56 a sign-on page.
59 Rich