From: Stefan Jones <cretin@g.o>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and duel install of nptl and linuxthreads
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:21:26
1 Hi,
2
3 I have recently been interested in installing the old glibc linuxthread
4 libraries along side the newer nptl ones.
5
6 I am considering adding this feature to gentoo.
7
8 I believe I can do this in two ways:
9
10 1) add an extra use flag to the glibc ebuild which makes a new builddir
11 and inside it compile the compatibility libraries.
12
13 2) Create a new ebuild which just installs the compatibility libraries.
14 (glibc-compat or something)
15
16 The libs would be installed in /lib/tls or similar. On my system
17 LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 now works even though I use --enable-kernel=2.6.0
18 and I now have non-tls linuxthreads
19
20 I can hack the build process so it will only compile the libraries thus
21 speeding up the compile and install ( no nls an local stuff needs to be
22 rebuilt )
23
24 I would prefer option 1 as it would be easier to keep the sources in
25 sync, and save duplication. ( and it will then just work out of the box)
26
27 Also what needs to be considered is what the libs will enable / do,
28 I suggest everything RH ones do.
29 * Allow LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 to work while keeping the main libs 2.4.x
30 optimised ( done and tested )
31 * Allow fallback to linuxthreads if you have nptl installed but a 2.4.x
32 kernel ( RH does it - I have not tested it yet )
33 * (optionally) Have main libs 2.6.x optimised will fallback libs for
34 2.4.x if you want ( I have not got this working yet - not sure if it is
35 possible )
36
37 What needs to be figured out is the way this is going to be done:
38 /lib/libc* - This will be the optimised or fallback version, RH makes
39 this the fallback version
40 /lib/tls/libc* - the inverse of the above
41
42 /lib/ld-linux.so would have to be tls enabled I guess, I will have to
43 investigate how RH does it.
44
45 Are you in support of such an addition to portage? ( once it is
46 completed + tested )
47
48 Look forward to your comments,
49