From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:56:46
1 On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 03:12:02PM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 04:07:14PM +0100 or thereabouts, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > Sure. Although I have to say that it's the sort of thing that any credible
4 > > open-source of our size should be putting in place.
5 >
6 > Putting it in place is only half of the equation. If we make it available
7 > and nobody uses it, that almost makes us look *less* credible than if we
8 > never had it at all.
9
10 From cursory inspection of the interest list
11 (http://penguincluster.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/BlogInterest), there does indeed seem to
12 be grounds for some kind of journaling system.
13
14 I think the promise of a journal is for users, but also *other devs* to get
15 into the eachothers' mindsets. Doing brain-dumps about sweeping changes or
16 wild ideas to the mailing lists are generally frowned upon. The same is
17 encouraged in journals, thus allowing for an ounce of better understanding,
18 when apparently illogical new schemes are set into motion.
21 However, it should be noted, that as each journal is also a personal ranting
22 space, the ratio of incendiary comments on the journals are likely to be
23 higher than on the mailing lists (though probably less than the forums;)
24
25 Hopefully, they'll be contained to the journal at hand.
28 -- Karl T