From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:00:00
> Or you just let a shell handle it. Does most of the things > automatically, has a pretty low memory and startup overhead, and it > tends to be quite human-readable. > > ... why would I want to remove a
> stable
the biggest complaint about openrc is that its not in stable - go figure.
> , efficient, known-good solution > that does what you'd expect it to do and replace it with a new thingy > that doesn't provide all the features, is harder to debug etc. etc.? I > just don't see any *advantage* from it apart from saying "OMG HAZ NEW > FEATRUES" :)
one feature of systemd is, that it has an active upstream. no, i dont think it would be a good idea to switch to systemd, just yet. but like the original baselayout was breaking new ground back when it first was developed, so is systemd. it does things differently and may not have all features yet, but from the outset it appears to be vastly superior to sysv-style inits, upstart and openrc. granted, systemd is currently able to attract enthusiastic supporters. reducing these to mere fanboys, however, is ignoring the technical solution that systemd proposes. yes, openrc works great - and yes, systemd is a better solution when looking at the overall problem. given how long, so far, it has taken openrc to reach stable, it is no wonder people start lobbying for systemd today. ;-) kind regards Thilo