From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /proc and portage
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:18:18
Thomas Flavel wrote:

> Hi, > > I had an idea I dimsmissed which I thought I should post anyway, on the off chance that it > might actually get used ;) > > I was thinking about how /proc is sometimes used as a bi-directional interface, for example I > can "echo 1>/proc/whatever" to turn on ping flood protection or something similar. I was > wondering how practical it would be to have a similar thing for portage? > > If I could say "echo gimp>/proc/portage/install" or "cat /proc/portage/packages" etc then > this would mean that it would be very easy to write front ends for portage, plus with this > minimal interface it would be very nice to use in scripts... I know it would be a massive > kernel module, and probably too much effort to actually produce/maintain but I thought you > should hear the idea... have a think about it please
Hmm, such a module whould make sense if it contains all the pachage management functions and the whole /var/db/pkg stuff in a database typothing. I thought about using SOAP over RPC-XML for an network based package management system. If this thing could be implemented as a module it would be great I think. Bye Achim