From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:28:57
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:46:00 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>> Beside that, it seems to solve things pretty similar to the
6 >>>> proposed way in multilib-portage for cross-compiling (which could
7 >>>> also be adapted for multi-slot languages) with different wording
8 >>>> and with additional work for ebuild maintainers. And since my
9 >>>> proposal already uses USE flags, things would not change visually
10 >>>> for users of e.g. ruby or php.
11 >>>
12 >>> I'm sad you aren't even trying to listen. Your attempt implies that
13 >>> every single change in targets requires rebuilding all of them. If I
14 >>> weren't using 32-bit libs, and now I want to compile 32-bit wine, I
15 >>> have to recompile most of my libraries for both ABIs. That is
16 >>> a no go for me.
17 >>
18 >> So you want to build a 32bit package, which is depending on 32bit
19 >> libs, but want to do that without the needed dependencies? Please
20 >> tell me, how that works.
21 >
22 > I'm trying to build a 32bit package and its 32bit dependencies. Your
23 > solution involves building a 32bit package and rebuilding all 64bit
24 > packages which happen to be its dependencies for no reason.
25
26 You should already know, that "for no reason" is plain wrong. Beside the
27 point, that you can build just the 32bit libs, if you dont want 64bit
28 ones. And you did not answer my questions when i asked you about
29 maintainence of your suggestion back then to keep every target as a
30 seperate package (which itself has its own disadvantages like common
31 files and UI questions).
32
33 Either way, my working solution might have some overhead, but is easy to
34 control and maintain for both devs and users.
35 If you get to the point, that you can show me your suggestion working
36 with the main tree, it might be much more clear, what you actually want
37 to do and how you want to implement it.
41 Thomas Sachau
42 Gentoo Linux Developer