From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 19:22:17
1 On 09/04/2016 20:34, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 12:18:25PM -0500, »Q« wrote
3 >> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:09:38 -0400
4 >> waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 07:11:31AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
7 >>>
8 >>>> It was simply a recognition that we were already in a state where
9 >>>> booting a system without /usr mounted early can cause problems.
10 >>>
11 >>> For certain edge cases... yes. But they were already using
12 >>> initramfs or merging /usr into /. I'm talking about the 95% who
13 >>> don't really need it.
14 >>
15 >> Booting without /usr mounted early is something Gentoo already doesn't
16 >> support and can't support, right?
17 >
18 > If you can read this post, you've got a mighty powerful imagination.
19 > Because we all know that Gentoo can't boot, let alone send emails, from
20 > a machine with separate /usr and no initramfs... just like I'm using
21 > right now.
25 That's not what he said.
26
27 He said gentoo doesn't, and can't support it, because it's a world of
28 pain to provide proper support to everyone who wants it. If you want it,
29 as you do, you get to do it yourself. While it still works, grat. When
30 it stops working, you fix it.
31
32 He did not say, as you imply, that it cannot work right now.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com